Connect with us

San Francisco 49ers

NFL Suspends San Francisco 49ers’ Reuben Foster For Two Games


The NFL suspended San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

As expected, the league has in fact suspended the 2017 first-round pick for violating its conduct and substance abuse policies. On a day that’s been filled with news dumps prior to Wednesday’s national holiday, the league announced that it has suspended Foster for two games. It’s a somewhat short suspension given what the star linebacker has been involved in off the field over the past several months.

Following the announcement, Foster himself released a statement.

“I accept the League’s decision and am sorry that my mistakes have hurt my team. I have a responsibility to the 49ers, our fans and our community, and I am committed to learning from this situation and making better choices in the future," the linebacker said, via the 49ers’ official website. "The support I have received over the last five months has been humbling, and I do not take it for granted.”

The suspension itself does not stem from the domestic violence allegations levied against Foster earlier this year. Instead, the discipline involves separate gun and marijuana charges that Foster had been facing this spring.

Foster, 24, saw said domestic violence charges dropped after the alleged victim recanted her original testimony on the stand. As for the marijuana charges, those were eventually dropped with Foster coming to a plea on the above-mentioned gun charges.

It goes without saying that Foster has had an eventful year after being selected in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft. He remains on a short leash within the organization, as evidenced by general manager John Lynch’s comments following the suspension announcement.

"Our organization understands and supports the League’s decision. Although we are disappointed that Reuben will not be with our team for the first two games of the season, we will continue to work with him on making better decisions and eliminating unnecessary distractions," Lynch said in a statement. "We are encouraged to see Reuben take responsibility for his mistakes, and hopeful that he has learned from them as well.”

Considered one of the top overall prospects in the 2017 draft class, Foster fell to San Francisco with the 31st overall pick. An incident at last year’s NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis and injury concerns led to this dramatic drop down the board.

As a rookie last season, Foster recorded 72 tackles in 10 games (all starts) while earning NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month honors in November. He’s expected to be a key cog for a 49ers team with playoff aspirations this coming season. Pending an unlikely appeal, Foster will miss outings against the Minnesota Vikings and Detroit Lions to open the season.

“>

A tumultuous first offseason in the NFL that started with a marijuana-related arrest in Alabama and continued with domestic violence charges has now come to a head for San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster.

The NFL suspended San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

As expected, the league has in fact suspended the 2017 first-round pick for violating its conduct and substance abuse policies. On a day that’s been filled with news dumps prior to Wednesday’s national holiday, the league announced that it has suspended Foster for two games. It’s a somewhat short suspension given what the star linebacker has been involved in off the field over the past several months.

Following the announcement, Foster himself released a statement.

“I accept the League’s decision and am sorry that my mistakes have hurt my team. I have a responsibility to the 49ers, our fans and our community, and I am committed to learning from this situation and making better choices in the future,” the linebacker said, via the 49ers’ official website. “The support I have received over the last five months has been humbling, and I do not take it for granted.”

The suspension itself does not stem from the domestic violence allegations levied against Foster earlier this year. Instead, the discipline involves separate gun and marijuana charges that Foster had been facing this spring.

Foster, 24, saw said domestic violence charges dropped after the alleged victim recanted her original testimony on the stand. As for the marijuana charges, those were eventually dropped with Foster coming to a plea on the above-mentioned gun charges.

It goes without saying that Foster has had an eventful year after being selected in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft. He remains on a short leash within the organization, as evidenced by general manager John Lynch’s comments following the suspension announcement.

“Our organization understands and supports the League’s decision. Although we are disappointed that Reuben will not be with our team for the first two games of the season, we will continue to work with him on making better decisions and eliminating unnecessary distractions,” Lynch said in a statement. “We are encouraged to see Reuben take responsibility for his mistakes, and hopeful that he has learned from them as well.”

Considered one of the top overall prospects in the 2017 draft class, Foster fell to San Francisco with the 31st overall pick. An incident at last year’s NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis and injury concerns led to this dramatic drop down the board.

As a rookie last season, Foster recorded 72 tackles in 10 games (all starts) while earning NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month honors in November. He’s expected to be a key cog for a 49ers team with playoff aspirations this coming season. Pending an unlikely appeal, Foster will miss outings against the Minnesota Vikings and Detroit Lions to open the season.

Advertisement
Advertisement  

More in San Francisco 49ers